Monday, November 7, 2011

Vietnamese Spring Rolls



I've had these things since I was a kid--but now they are my adult-obsession.




We had lots of Vietnamese friends and refugees that our family had associations with while I was growing up. They didn't have much in terms of worldly possessions, but they always wanted to show their appreciation with food. One of the utmost favorites were Egg Rolls. In close second, and not easily dismissed, was the Spring Roll.



It is made fresh and served cold with a peanut dipping sauce. You can't describe the exact taste, because it's like having a massive infusion of multiple flavors all at once! I can't say enough about how delicious they are and how extremely healthy they are too. [I had to add the healthy part--which they are, but it justifies the amount I can eat without loading up on calories!] I've taken a new delight in making them myself now--because I was spending a fortune on them in the Pho soup restaurants, and left wanting MORE!! So here's the recipe for how I make them, although the variations and options are endless.

Vietnamese Spring Rolls


1 package Tapioca wraps (I get at the Cash and Carry store here)
1lb cooked/deveined shrimp (to extend the amount, cut vertically, or leave whole)

1/2lb cooked pork (I cheat--and get the Chinese BBQ pork and thinly slice)
Bean Sprouts--about 1lb, rinsed
rice vermicelli (I get at the Cash and Carry as well)
springs of fresh mint (found in the produce section of any grocery store)
fresh basil (approximately 20-30 leaves--depending on how many rolls)

I prep all the foods that go inside of the roll first. I wash the basil, mint, and bean sprouts first. Then I get the shrimp and pork ready. I buy the shrimp that is already cooked, but usually the tails are still on and I have to remove those first. I did not cut the shrimp that I used in the picture because they were smaller then I would normally like to use. The pork came pre-sliced in the package and then I cut those pieces in half, as well.


Bean sprouts can become quite pungent and nasty if they are not fresh. Because we live inland from any major cities or areas that grown these--it's hit or miss on their quality. I found these beauties at the Cash and Carry in a five pound bag for $3.50. That beat the socks off of the old, brown ones at the local supermarket at $1.29 for 8 ounces! [I didn't let all the extras go to waste, either. They went into a fabulous stir-fry for dinner!]




The spring rolls are wrapped in a "skin" that is similar to a tortilla or a crepe. But they come hard in a circular shape. You get a bowl of water and put one shell circle in the water at a time. It softens the skin and you are then able to work with it. This pack of 30 was only $1.19. I used most of the package, but they keep well since they are already dry.



The noodles are a must. When I was a kid--they kind of freaked me out because they were almost clear. They are made from a rice flour instead of a durum semolina. They aren't as dense as rice, and have a more translucent sheen to them. Boiling in water for just a couple of minutes--then rinsing in cold water--makes for fast work with these noodles!


To assemble, start with the wrap soaked in water. Lay it out on a clean cutting board and start the layering the items, much like a burrito.

3-4 shrimp
2 pieces of pork

a handful of bean sprouts

a handful of noodles

2 springs of basil

3-4 little leaves of mint

Pull the bottom flap up and over the vegetables. Then fold the two sides in and roll like a burrito. Tight is best, but you don't want to burst the vegetables through the thin skin! The tapioca skin will seal itself; but place seam down to be sure. Place on a trap lined with parchment or wax paper.

The Sauce:

It's just a concotion of Hoisin Sauce and peanut butter, mixed together for taste. I find that I like about a 60/40 ratio of Hoisin to peanut butter. I melt the peanut butter in the microwave and then stir the Hoisin in to temper it. Some restaurants use more peanut butter in their ratio...it's all about what tastes good to you. I also like to add a dousing of Sweet Chili sauce and/or some teriyaki sauce. The chili sauce adds a little kick to the spiciness, but it's sweet as well.


Some of the variations you could add: sliced chicken, other seafoods, cucumber, grated carrots, cabbage, iceberg lettuce, avocado, mushrooms, peppers, any vegetable or noodle, and so on.

No comments:

Post a Comment