Monday, November 7, 2011

Bacon-wrapped Smokies

For an end of Summer shindig, our neighbors--Maurio and Kendra--hosted a BBQ/Potluck dinner where we fell in love with these little babies. I never actually tried them there because I left for all of 5 minutes and they were inhaled by the crowd. My kids ranted and raved about them and I so I went on an Internet quest to find the details on how to make them. [Kendra made it sound way too easy, but that's exactly what they turned out to be!]

BACON-WRAPPED SMOKIES
2 packages Beef Smokies (we like Hillshire Farms or the all-beef from Costco)
1/2 lb bacon--cut into 1 1/2" strips (I've found that the thinner cut works better) hand fulls of brown sugar (yep! That's what makes these the best!)

You cut the bacon into the pieces and then wrap one piece around each little smokie, securing it with a toothpick.

I make these almost weekly now--and I've also found that that the little skewers that are 6 inches long are fabulous to use because you can get 3-4 wrapped smokies on each skewer and then lay them on the baking sheet in more space efficient ways. Once they are cooked, you just slide them onto a plate for serving.

Once all the smokies are on the baking sheet, you take a hand full of brown sugar and scatter it over all the pieces. I usually go back for a second hand full and make sure that all of the smokies are covered. I don't think you can get too much of some stuff--namely, brown sugar and butter--which are definitely on top of that list!

Then put them in the oven on a Low Broil for 10-15 minutes. At that point, take them out of the oven and turn them over, then put them back in for another 3-5 minutes to crisp up the other side.

They are absolutely delicious! We've enjoyed them as appetizers, as a main dish, and just as a treat! I know that when we have shared them--they go over like wild fire. Albeit, the sharing doesn't happen very often, because they don't last past the kitchen; let alone, the front door!

No comments:

Post a Comment