Saturday, November 19, 2011

Minestrone Soup

My sister, Becky, sent me a "Make a Mix" book about 13 years ago. A lot of the recipes were once-made wonders--with beautiful flashy pictures and calling for unusual ingredients--destined to not be repeated. But it is one of my favorite cookbooks, because it has the best Minestrone soup recipe in it. I've made it several times a year over the last decade, and it has become a reliable favorite at potlucks, socials, and around the family dinner table.

Minestrone Soup

1 can kidney beans beans 4 beef bouillon cubes-crumbled
1 tsp basil
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 lb sweet/mild Italian sausage--cooked
2 stalks celery--chopped
2 carrots--peeled and chopped
1 medium onion--chopped
1--28oz can of dice tomatoes
8 cups of water
1 cup elbow macaroni or small pasta
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Cook and cut up sausage into bite-size pieces. Wash, peel and chop the vegetables. Place everything, except macaroni and Parmesan cheese, into a 6 quart crock pot and add 8 cups of water. [I tend to add more vegetables than the recipe calls for. Adding an extra teaspoon of bouillon and another cup of water would be fine when adding 1-2 cups more of the produce. I've also added extra tomatoes instead of water...the recipe is pretty forgiving of a few alterations--just don't add too much that will suck up all the broth and flavor.]
Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Add the macaroni about half an hour before serving. Serve with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top and crusty french bread. I love it on cold and windy days--the perfect soup for Fall!

*I prepped all the ingredients for this soup last night and then turned it on before I went to bed.  It cooked all night.  I added the pasta right before lunchtime--and we had an instant meal that was very tasty...and the house smelled wonderful.
**This recipe also originally called for a 1/4 cup of green split peas. I quit adding them because I was lazy. They are really good if you want to take the time to add them.

No comments:

Post a Comment