Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Sensational Salmon






I love the salmon that you get from Costco. It's a little pricey...but it's cut nice and thick, it's fresh, and it's totally bone-free. Not only is it a northwest favorite-it's definitely a family favorite as well. I've always prepared it rather simple, because at $9 a pound, I want to know what I'm eating.


But a couple of years ago--Kristine told me how her mom prepared it--with a brown sugar and Dijon mustard glaze. Now, I've never had Arlene's yummy salmon...but I was intrigued my the concoction she glazed it with. I tried it--and it was AMAZING. But I've gotten a little lazy over time, and instead of Dijon mustard, I use whatever mustard I have in the fridge...which is generally, the regular yellow stuff. But no worries. It still turns out amazing.


In my old age, I've learned a few things about cooking too. I now use parchment paper to cook the salmon on. It's kind of funny, but I still have one baking sheet with the lines and grooves of the fish still emblazoned into the metal. The brown sugar tends to caramelize around the fish as it's cooking, almost creating a seal for the juices from underneath. While it's the most delicious piece of fish to eat-it was a nightmare to clean-up. So the paper has become a lifesaver in the kitchen and there's no more soaking the pan in water overnight!

I season the salmon with McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning. You can use anything--I just like their combination of these flavors the best. In fact, I use it on almost everything...chicken, beef, pork, and most definitely--salmon.


I mix about 1 cup of brown sugar (not packed) with at least 2 tablespoons of mustard in a bowl until it reaches a nice pourable consistency. Usually I just squirt the mustard down into the sugar until it looks like those couple of tablespoons. I can add more if it's not wet enough. Then I pour it across the fish until it's entirely covered. You don't want the sugar too be so loose and liquidy that it slides right off...but almost like a thick batter instead.


I bake the salmon at 350 degrees for about 35-40 minutes, which may seem longer than some recipes. But since the salmon is cut rather thick, it tends to need more time then the frozen fillets or portions with skin on them. The meat should be flaky when checked with a fork. The brown sugar is bubbly and the meat is firm to the touch. My family loves it best with scalloped potatoes and green beans with bacon. The flavor is so amazing that it makes it very hard to try new or different glazes...especially when salmon is a treat more then a weekly option on the dinner menu. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment