Thursday, November 10, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup

A few weeks ago I wrote an entry on my couponing blog (savingspokane@blogspot.com) about the tremendous deal in a Rotisserie chicken. I've been challenging myself to get at least 2 full meals for my family of seven out of one $4.99 bird. I'm on the third chicken--and I've done it every time! Woo Hoo!!

So last night I made the creamy enchiladas with the breast meat. I quartered the rest of the chicken and put it in a stew pot with all the fixings for Chicken Tortilla Soup. I finished it today--and boy...is it delicious!! This is one of my new favorite recipes because I love the flavors combined with the heartiness of lots of beans, chicken, and hominy. I love using the rotisserie chicken to add flavor to the soup broth as well as adding dark and light meat to the stock.

I've been doubling the recipe amounts for everything except the chicken. I can usually get a dinner for seven and side for lunch out of the finished pot. It's still loaded with meat and serves up fabulously topped with avocado, crushed tortilla chips, green onions and shredded Monterrey Jack cheese.

Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 onion--chopped
3 minced cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1tsp pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 (10.5 ounce) cans condensed chicken broth
1 1/2 cups water
1 can whole kernel corn
1 can white hominy
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chili peppers
1 (15 ounce) can black beans--rinsed and drained
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 a rotisserie chicken or 2-3 boneless chicken breast halves--cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces

In a medium stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Stir in chili powder, oregano, tomatoes, broth, and water. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in corn, hominy, chilies, beans, cilantro, and chicken. Simmer for 20 minutes. Ladle soup into individual serving bowls, and top with crushed tortilla chips, avocado slices, cheese, and chopped green onion. [This makes a great recipe for the crock pot as well. Just don't add the cilantro till the last 10-15 minutes before serving).

No comments:

Post a Comment