Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Homemade Turtles

The Holiday season brings out the best in our Epicurean delights.  And here is a family favorite that just goes to show you--it doesn't have to be hard to be completely delicious! Homemade Turtles are the best!!  You only need 3 ingredients to get started-pretzels, Rolo candy, and pecan halves.  And for as many as my hungry crew can go through--I like to make a few extra to hide for later..., if you know what I mean. [I have a friend, Amy, that named her favorite Pea Salad her "Costco Salad" because it was the only salad she could make where all the ingredients could be purchased at Costco.  That got me chuckling when I realized that I don't make these unless I buy everything in bulk--at Costco, no less.I should just rename these "Costco Candy" now, right?.]
You start by spreading out the pretzels onto a jelly roll pan.  Then one piece of Rolo candy goes on each pretzel.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and then turn it off.  I set the pan of pretzels inside the oven for 5 minutes.  That softens the caramel and chocolate so that you can push a pecan half on top.
As the candy cools, the chocolate won't be melted anymore--and they can be easily stored in a container...if they last that long.  The salty, chewy, crunchy, sweet combination covers the entire taste spectrum in one bite--and it is a real WINNER!!

No comments:

Post a Comment