Thursday, April 12, 2012

Hawaiian Chicken

I found a recipe on pinterest that I had to try...Hawaiian Chicken.  Total disclaimer: while I followed the recipe for the marinade, I did not grill the chicken like the recipe called for, but it was utterly delicious, nonetheless.  I'm sure that it would be totally amazing grilled...but wouldn't have the juices to create a beautiful and tasty glaze.

Hawaiian Chicken

3lbs chicken thighs
2 cups soy sauce
2 cups water
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 can coconut milk
1 bunch of diced green onions
1 tsp minced garlic
1 T sesame seed oil

Mix all the ingredients together in a container with a lid.  Add the chicken thighs and marinade for at least 4 hours.  Overnight is best, but that sometimes just doesn't happen!  The instructions called for grilling 5-7 minutes at low heat, on each side, until fully cooked.  I laid all the meat out on a large cookie sheet and baked at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. 


Then I poured the juices and marinade from the sheet into a small pan and thickened with a cornstarch and water mixture.  I then poured the glaze over the hot chicken before plating it. 






I served it with a side of rice and baby carrots.  A novel idea for a new kind of rice, is to replace half of the water with canned coconut milk.  Serving it with a side of grilled pineapple would have been epicurean perfection.  I'll definitely be making this again during BBQ season.

No comments:

Post a Comment