Monday, March 12, 2012

Fudgy Peanut Butter Bars


I've been so inspired by pinterest lately. I came across this peanut butter bar recipe several times. I pinned it because it looked yummy--but I made it because it used a cake mix, and I was intrigued.


The dough consisted of:
1 yellow cake mix
1 cup peanut butter (most recipes said creamy, I used crunchy)
2 eggs
1 cup of butter
Mix well. Pat all but 1 cup into a baking pan. (I doubled the recipe and used a large jelly roll pan. If you do this, make sure to reserve the equivalent extra dough.)

Melt 1 bag chocolate chips, 2 T of butter, and 1 can of sweetened condensed milk over low heat. Stir until it is smooth and thick, like fudge sauce.

Pour the fudge sauce over the uncooked cookie dough. I would reserve about 3/4 cup of the sauce if you double the recipe so that it doesn't fall over the pan while it's baking. (Use it on vanilla ice-cream......ooh! That would be so delicious.)
After I had the fudge spread out evenly, I took the remaining dough and patted it thin in my hand, and then laid it over the fudge.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or till golden brown; more or less, depending upon your oven.
Cool the pan completely before cutting. My kids were taking swipes at it with spoons while it was still warm. The fudge hasn't set up yet and just oozes into the open spot if cut too soon. At room temperature, the bars can be cut without any oozing. The butter in the recipe gives the cookie a crispy exterior, but is soft and moist, otherwise. They are super yummy and rich--so don't forget a glass of cold milk! Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment